What is Oesophageal Cancer?
Oesophageal cancer is cancer of the food pipe. Early investigation and detection is important for the most effective treatment.
Causes of Oesophageal Cancer
There are multiple risk factors associated with the risk of developing oesophageal cancer which include:
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux (acid reflux)
- Older age
- Being overweight and obesity
Symptoms associated with oesophageal cancer can present in varied ways and include:
- Acid reflux/indigestion (new onset symptoms)
- Difficulty in swallowing (dysphagia)
- Bleeding such as vomiting blood or passing dark/altered stools
- Weight loss
The best first investigation is a gastroscopy test. Treatment options include medical therapy (such as chemotherapy and radiotherapy), endoscopic therapy and surgery.
If you want more information or are worried about oesophageal cancer, you can book an urgent consultation with Dr Goel to discuss investigation and treatment options best suited to you.