What is Diarrhoea?
Diarrhoea is a very frequent symptom characterized by the frequent passage of bowel motions. This can lead to considerable pain, discomfort and more serious consequences such as dehydration. It can have a great impact on people’s quality of life.
Causes of Diarrhoea
There are many possible causes which include:
- Bacterial overgrowth
- Coeliac disease
- Dietary factors
- Infections (gastroenteritis)
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Lifestyle factors
- Microscopic colitis
- Psychological factors
- Side effects from medications
Investigations for diarrhoea include:
- Blood tests
- Stool tests for infection and inflammation
- Endoscopy (e.g. Flexible sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy)
- Imaging (such as ultrasound, MRI and CT scans)
Treatment options include dietary advice, lifestyle changes, simple natural remedies and medical therapies.
If you are concerned about diarrhoea, you can book a consultation with Dr Goel to discuss investigation and treatment options best suited to you.